3 reasons why hydrating after any physical activity is important for children
A human body comprises of about 70 % of water. Water in our body plays a very important role. It helps us in digesting food, regulating the body temperature and also excreting waste. A good amount of body water is lost throughout the day when you breathe, sweat and urinate.
When it comes to dehydration, children might be at a greater risk than adults because their skin is more exposed to heat and sweat. Children might not always realise they are thirsty, they have to be encouraged and reminded to drink water.
How to know your child is dehydrated?
Some of the common symptoms of dehydration are:
- Cracked lips
- Dry mouth
- Poor concentration
- Dark urine
How much water does a child’s body require?
The amount water your child’s body requires depends on their age, size, and level of activities they perform on a daily basis.
- For children who are under 8 years of age, at least 4-6 glasses of water is needed.
- For children who are older than 8 years of age, a minimum of 6-8 glasses is recommended
Reasons why hydrating is important for children after any physical activity
After performing physical and sports activities, it is recommended that children should drink a lot of water and keep themselves hydrated. Following are the reasons why hydrating is important after performing physical activities:
- Improved circulation: Staying hydrated improves your blood flow and circulation of oxygen and nutrients in the working muscles. Good hydration also helps in removing metabolic by-products and waste from muscles. The water replaces the water content lost by the sweat.
- Improved muscle function: Hydrated muscles tend to function way better than the dehydrated muscles which is good while performing physical activities.
- Regulated blood pressure: If you are completely hydrated, your blood pressure is normal and your heart doesn’t require working harder for maintaining normal blood pressure.
A human body comprises of about 70 % of water. Water in our body plays a very important role. It helps us in digesting food,…admin - January 14, 2019
Why is it so important for kids to learn sports and fitness skills by a qualified instructor or coach?
With the decreasing physical fitness of children nowadays, many parents are understandably concerned about their children’s physical health…admin - December 17, 2018